Join the conversation on Indigenous and Diverse Scholarship
In the last round of collective bargaining, The University of British Columbia (UBC) and the Faculty Association of the University of British Columbia (UBCFA) agreed to form a Joint Consultation Committee (JCC) on Indigenous and Diverse forms of scholarship. The mandate of the Committee is to provide guidance for assessing Indigenous scholarship and other diverse forms of scholarly activity for merit, appointment, promotion and tenure processes, and to offer recommendations for language for the collective agreement before the next round of bargaining.
The JCC seeks to ensure recognition, affirmation, and support in the assessment processes of members who undertake Indigenous research and other forms of diverse scholarly activity. We are pleased to announce the beginning of our consultation process and invite faculty members involved in Indigenous and other forms of Diverse scholarship to participate in the conversation that will shape the next collective agreement. You can register to one of our consultation sessions, which will be held over zoom. Please rsvp and indicate which session you would like to attend. If you have accessibility concerns kindly bring those to our attention.
Faculty members are expected to sign up for a session in line with their Faculty (if your faculty is not listed, please register to join a session most aligned with your unit). If you are unable to attend your Faculty’s designated sessions there will be other opportunities to provide feedback to the Committee.
- Indigenous faculty in Arts, FCCS & Law (UBC-V & UBC-O):
Session 1: Friday, October 29: 1-3pm; RSVP
Session 2: Tuesday, November 2: 2-4pm; RSVP
- Indigenous faculty in Education, Applied Sciences, FHSD (UBC-V & UBC-O):
Session 3: Thursday, October 28: 12-2pm; RSVP
Session 4: Wednesday, November 3: 12-2pm; RSVP
- Indigenous faculty in Medicine, Science, LFS, Forestry & Sauder (UBC-V & UBC-O):
Session 5: Monday, November 1: 12-2pm; RSVP
- Indigenous faculty on the Okanagan Campus (UBC-O):
Session 6: Friday, November 5: 12-2pm; RSVP
- Non-Indigenous faculty engaged in diverse & Indigenous research (UBC-O & UBC-V):
Session 7: Tuesday, November 9: 1-3pm; RSVP
*The collective agreement language on scholarly activity can be found here.
If you have any questions about the JCC or its work, please contact us at [email protected]; your questions/comments will be directed to the co-chairs.
Committee Members representing UBC:
- JCC Co-Chair: Jan Hare, Dean pro tem, Faculty of Education;
- Sheryl Lightfoot, Senior Advisor to the President on Indigenous Affairs, Political Science, School of Public Policy and Global Affairs, and Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies, UBCV;
- Rehan Sadiq, Executive Associate Dean, School of Engineering, UBCO;
- Moura Quayle, Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President, Academic Affairs;
- Doug Thorpe-Dorward, University Staff Support
Committee Members representing the UBCFA:
- JCC Co-Chair: Dory Nason, Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies/GRSJ/FA Vice-President;
- Daniel Heath Justice, Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies/English;
- Janette Bulkan, Forestry;
- Allison Hargreaves, English/Cultural Studies, UBCO;
- Deena Rubuliak, FA Staff Support
Graduate Academic Assistant: Daniel P. Gámez