On 07 April 2014, the Association tabled the proposals below. Proposals are only the very first exchange of information between bargaining parties, to begin the bargaining conversation. Specific language and priorities will develop as a result of ongoing conversation between the parties.
1. The Association proposes to amend Part 2, Articles 1 through 5, to provide a general salary increase sufficient to keep pace with inflation and the general state of salaries elsewhere.
2. The Association proposes to amend Part 2, Article 4, to provide for consistent minimum salary scales for sessionals, and a minimum starting salary for lecturers.
3. The Association proposes modification to Progress through the Ranks (PTR) in Part 2, Article 2.
4. The Association proposes to amend Part 2, Article 7, and Part 7, Article 16.02, toprovide full pension benefits for Sessionals regardless of the length or percentage of their appointment.
5. The Association proposes to modify Part 2, Article 7, to ensure that Sessionals who hold appointments in the summer terms are eligible for benefits.
6. The Association proposes to amend Part 2, Article 7.02a, to provide better eye care coverage for members.
7. The Association proposes to amend Part 2, Article 7.08, so that a member’s tuition fee waiver may be transferred to his or her spouse or partner, and that dependent children’s tuition fee waivers do not expire upon the death of the member while the dependent continues to attend university.
8. The Association proposes a change to Part 2, Article 7.09, so that the professional development reimbursement fund is adequate to provide members with the means and professional development opportunities to fulfill UBC’s vision, values and commitments.
9. The Association proposes to modify Part 2, Article 7.12, to ensure that faculty working beyond the normal retirement date have access to extended health care benefits.
10. The Association proposes to introduce an arrangement in Part 2 for faculty over the age of 71 to receive that portion of their total compensation that can no longer be contributed to the Faculty Pension Plan.
11. The Association proposes to modify Part 1, Article 13, to provide for clearer development and dissemination of departmental workload policies and to have clearer workload policies for Instructors and Lecturers.
Contract Academic Staff
12. The Association proposes a new Article in Part 7 to give part-time Sessional members the right to accrue additional courses for which they are qualified, on a seniority basis, and to give Sessional members priority over external applicants for newly created Lecturer positions.
13. The Association proposes modifying Part 4, Article 7.03, to introduce a right of reappointment for Lecturers.
Educational Leadership Stream
14. The Association proposes to amend Part 3, Article 2, to give those in the educational leadership stream the same access to study leave that those in the professoriate stream have.
15. The Association proposes to amend Part 4, Article 4, to clarify the definition of educational leadership.
16. The Association proposes revisions to Part 5 to introduce workload language specific to librarians, clarify the definition of head and provide administrative leaves, and eliminate arcane language concerning supervising and administrative librarians.
Procedures for Appointment, Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion
17. The Association proposes to amend Part 4, Article 5, to ensure all tenure stream faculty are consulted in initial appointments.
18. The Association proposes to amend Part 4, Article 5, to clarify appointment, promotion and tenure processes at the departmental and decanal levels, and to ensure procedures in non-departmentalized units are consistent with departmentalized faculties.
19. The Association proposes to amend Part 4, Article 13, to ensure procedural fairness for members who undergo non-periodic reviews.
20. The Association proposes to amend Part 4, Article 2.03g, so that when a member is denied tenure, and the grievance is not resolved within the terminal year, the member’s appointment is extended.
21. The Association proposes a new Article in Part 1 to ensure that members have the right to representation during investigation processes.
22. The Faculty Association proposes to modify Part 1 to require formal representation of the Faculty Association on policy development committees.
23. The Association proposes to modify multiple articles in Part 4 to ensure that scholarship is more broadly defined to incorporate methodologies and practices from non-traditional scholars.
24. The Association proposes to amend Part 4, Article 3, to change the name of Instructor 2 to Acting Assistant Professor.
25. The Association proposes to revise Appendix A to ensure that members of the bargaining unit are not wrongfully excluded from the bargaining unit.
26. The Association proposes a two-year term for the Agreement.
27. We have a number of general housekeeping issues to raise, as well as a few technical issues to achieve.