Dear Heads and Directors,
In the last round of collective bargaining, The University of British Columbia (UBC) and the Faculty Association of the University of British Columbia (UBCFA) agreed to form a Joint Consultation Committee (JCC) on Indigenous and Diverse forms of scholarship. The mandate of the Committee is to provide guidance for assessing Indigenous scholarship and other diverse forms of scholarly activity for merit, appointment, promotion and tenure processes, and to offer recommendations for language for the collective agreement before the next round of bargaining.
The JCC seeks to ensure recognition, affirmation, and support in the assessment processes of members who undertake Indigenous research and other forms of diverse scholarly activity. We are pleased to announce the beginning of our consultation process and invite Heads and Directors to participate in the conversation that will shape the next collective agreement.
We are offering one session for the Vancouver Campus and one for the Okanagan Campus:
We hope you will join us for this important conversation. Please RSVP and we will send you the zoom link. If you are unable to attend the session on your campus and are interested in participating, kindly let us know.
If you have any questions about the JCC or its work, please contact us at [email protected]; your questions/comments will be directed to the co-chairs.
Dory Nason & Jan Hare,
Committee Members representing UBC:
- JCC Co-Chair: Jan Hare, Dean pro tem, Faculty of Education;
- Sheryl Lightfoot, Senior Advisor to the President on Indigenous Affairs, Political Science, School of Public Policy and Global Affairs, and Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies, UBCV;
- Rehan Sadiq, Executive Associate Dean, School of Engineering, UBCO;
- Moura Quayle, Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President, Academic Affairs;
- Doug Thorpe-Dorward, University Staff Support
Committee Members representing the UBCFA:
- JCC Co-Chair: Dory Nason, Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies/GRSJ/FA Vice-President;
- Daniel Heath Justice, Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies/English;
- Janette Bulkan, Forestry;
- Allison Hargreaves, English/Cultural Studies, UBCO;
- Deena Rubuliak, FA Staff Support
Graduate Academic Assistant: Daniel P. Gámez