Please take the opportunity to express your views on UBC’s Proposed Amendments to Policy 3 (Discrimination and Harassment)
The University is inviting comments on Proposed Amendments to Policy 3. Policy 3 addresses the process by which concerns relating to matters of discrimination on the grounds protected by the BC Human Rights Code (“Code”) are addressed by the University. The new Policy #3 amendments are intended to bring the policy into alignment with current practices. In the Call for Comments, the University is describing the proposed changes as follows:
- changing the title of the Policy from “Discrimination and Harassment” to “Discrimination” and removing most references to “harassment” in the policy and procedures;
- updating names of offices and positions;
- focusing the role of the Administrative Head of Unit;
- clarifying the jurisdiction of the Director of Investigations to investigate complaints;
- updating the privacy and confidentiality language to create consistency with other policies; and
- deleting the one-year limitation period to bring a complaint
The rationale that was presented to the Board of Governors for the amendments to Policy 3 is available at this link.
Please review the Proposed Amendments to Policy 3 and if you have any questions or concerns with the proposed amendments, let us know by responding to this email or sending an email to the Faculty Association by Friday, January 18, 2019 to be considered as we formulate the Association’s response. You also have the option of forwarding your questions or concerns directly to the Office of the University Counsel (Deadline: February 1, 2019).
If you do submit a response to the University directly, please copy us (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we’re aware of your comments.