Workplace Problems

If you experience a problem, face an issue, or need information to help resolve a difficulty in your working life at UBC, we are here to help.

The Faculty Association is your legal representative in all employment-related matters. This means that you have the right to:

  • consult with the Association at any time;
  • provide the Association with any information or documentation related to your work at UBC;
  • request that the Association officially represent you in any dealing with the university administration.

There can be no reprisal or retaliation from the administration for your having sought the advice and assistance of the Association.

When you approach the Faculty Association, you will most likely be put in contact with one of our Membership Services Officers (MSOs). These are the professional staff of the Association charged with advising and assisting members in need. Most questions and concerns are fairly easily resolved with an email or telephone call, and your MSOs are happy to help you in this way. Membership Services Officers can also accompany you to meetings with the administration, advocate on your behalf, and represent you in any employment-related matter so that you are never standing alone against the administration.

The MSOs, in conjunction with the Membership Services and Grievance Committee also manage problems that are not so easily resolved. The more formal process is called the “grievance process” and is a well-established procedure, agreed to by the University and laid out in the Collective Agreement (Part 1, Article 20). The MSOs and the Committee, assisted as necessary by our expert legal counsel, will work on your behalf to protect your rights.


Inquiries to the Faculty Association are held in strict confidence. In many cases our ability to assist you will be limited unless we can discuss the specifics of your situation with Faculty Relations, our counterparts on the administration side. We will not, however, take this step without first consulting with you.